We currently have 2 DCs. SERVER2 is Windows 2003 DC (all FSMO roles),
GC, DNS, WINS. SERVER1 is Windows 2000 DC, Exchange 2003, DNS, WINS.
I need to upgrade SERVER1 to Windows 2003 DC. I know hosting Exchange
on a DC isn't recommended, but size and budget limitations mean this is
the only option I have (if I want to have 2 DCs on the network). I
have no additional hardware. Partitions on SERVER1 need to be resized
as C: drive only has 1.5GB free.
Bit of a nightmare, I know! However, does anyone have any suggestions?
I will obviously read-up and test in a lab envt first, however, off the
top of my head, I was thinking:
(1) Backup Exchange 2003 database on SERVER1
(2) Shutdown SERVER1
(3) Metadata cleanup of SERVER1 in AD and DNS.
(4) Clean install Windows 2003 on SERVER1 with repartitioned HDs.
(5) dcpromo SERVER1.
(6) Install DNS / WINS
(7) Clean install Exchange 2003 with /disasterrecovery switch. Is this
possible given the fact that I'll be doing a metadata cleanup of
SERVER1 DC entries in AD as a previous step?
(8) Restore Exchange 2003 databases.
Any comments and advice greatly appreciated!