Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server VS Small Busines

Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server VS Small Busines

Post by QW5keSBMYW » Thu, 29 Jun 2006 00:44:02


We have Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server and exchange 2003
installed and we got the SBS transition pack to upgrade to standard server.
How should we do that?
I'm thinking install the sbs 2003 and then use transition pack to standard
server. is it going to work?

Andy
 
 
 

Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server VS Small Busines

Post by Andrew Hod » Thu, 29 Jun 2006 02:00:22

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 08:44:02 -0700, Andy Lai



SBS 2003 includes Exchange, and all the other apps like Sharepoint and
the management wizards. The transition pack is not supported on your
os.

Andrew.
--
Andrew Hodgson in Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK.
My Email: use <andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org>.

 
 
 

Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server VS Small Busines

Post by SBS-M » Thu, 29 Jun 2006 03:19:07

his is a multi-part message in MIME format.


did you buy Exchange separately ???
My guess is yes?
If thats the case, Transistion pack is not going to work

Return it where you got it and get a standard Win2k3 license and media
Export your Exchange Mailboxes
Copy your data off somewhere

Format the harddrive and install your new win2k3 and reinstall Exchange and import your mail back in

Sorry


--
Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]
--------------------------------------
Please do not respond directly to me, but only post in the newsgroup so all can take advantage
"Andy Lai" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM > wrote in message news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
We have Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server and exchange 2003
installed and we got the SBS transition pack to upgrade to standard server.
How should we do that?
I'm thinking install the sbs 2003 and then use transition pack to standard
server. is it going to work?

Andy

"Cris Hanna (SBS-MVP)" wrote:

> Yes there are big differences
> I think the one you have probably only has the server product and is limited to much fewer users than Small Business Server 2003
>
> --
> Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]
> --------------------------------------
> Please do not respond directly to me, but only post in the newsgroup so all can take advantage
> "Andy Lai" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM > wrote in message news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
> Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server VS Small Business Server 2003
>
> Is there any differences between Windows Server 2003 for Small Business
> Server and Small Business Server 2003?
>
> We try to do the transition pack for our small business server but it gives
> an error "Windows setup does not support upgrading from Microsoft Windows
> Server 2003 for Small Business Server to Microsoft Windows Server 2003,
> Standard Edition. Setup cannot continue."
>
> Please help
>
> ANdy
!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN>> < < < < < <did you buy Exchange separately ??< <My guess is yes< <If thats the case, Transistion pack is not going to
wor< < < <Return it where you got it and get a standard
Win2k3 license and medi< <Export your Exchange Mailboxe< <Copy your data off somewher< < < <Format the harddrive and install your new win2k3
and reinstall Exchange and import your mail back i< < < <Sorr< <
 
 
 

Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server VS Small Busines

Post by SuperGumby » Thu, 29 Jun 2006 08:57:37

it's only that I've been caught in such a conversation before.

There are two products Windows Server for Small Business (Server, I put this
in brackets because I'm not really sure if this is right.) This is also
known by the SBS MVP's as the 'Fresno' version (long story, don't ask), and
there is SBS 2003 which identifies itself as Windows Server 2003 for Small
Business Server (go on SBS'ers, log off the SBS and look at the logon
screen). Confused yet?

The only way I can suggest to identify the products in news is to ask how
many CD's you have. I believe Fresno is a single CD. I only have SBS Premium
media but I think Standard is 3CD's + Outlook, right? I just looked at my
Premium pack and it's got 5CD's, a DVD and a Frontpage CD (is a CD missing?)

If you have a multiCD/DVD package, CD2 should have (original FPP, not sure
on SP1 media)
EXCHSRVR65
SUPPORT
VALUEADD
folders off the root

If you have multiCD/DVD media and these folders exist on CD2 it is most
likely that the SBS was never properly installed. It is quite likely that
running Setup from CD1 and completing the SBS installation properly will fix
the issue.

"Cris Hanna (SBS-MVP)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >

did you buy Exchange separately ???
My guess is yes?
If thats the case, Transistion pack is not going to work

Return it where you got it and get a standard Win2k3 license and media
Export your Exchange Mailboxes
Copy your data off somewhere

Format the harddrive and install your new win2k3 and reinstall Exchange and
import your mail back in

Sorry


--
Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]
--------------------------------------
Please do not respond directly to me, but only post in the newsgroup so all
can take advantage


We have Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server and exchange 2003
installed and we got the SBS transition pack to upgrade to standard
server.
How should we do that?
I'm thinking install the sbs 2003 and then use transition pack to standard
server. is it going to work?

Andy



> Yes there are big differences
> I think the one you have probably only has the server product and is
limited to much fewer users than Small Business Server 2003
>
> --
> Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]
> --------------------------------------
> Please do not respond directly to me, but only post in the newsgroup so
all can take advantage


> Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server VS Small Business Server
2003
>
> Is there any differences between Windows Server 2003 for Small
Business
> Server and Small Business Server 2003?
>
> We try to do the transition pack for our small business server but it
gives
> an error "Windows setup does not support upgrading from Microsoft
Windows
> Server 2003 for Small Business Server to Microsoft Windows Server
2003,
> Standard Edition. Setup cannot continue."
>
> Please help
>
> ANdy