I have done it, but it is not supported and pretty painful.
I built a Windows 2003 and promoted it to a domain controller running
alongside the SBS server. SBS will complain, but it works.
I then build an Exchange server and attached it to the Exchange organization
and moved all my user's mailboxes to the new server. There is a white paper
by MS outlining how to remove the first Exchange server in an installtion -
do that for the SBS Server. At this point shut down the SBS Server
permanently (assuming you have moved all of your files, databases, and
stuff). I then had to manully seize the AD roles on the new domain
We did not have sharepoint or any webs that were tightly integrated with AD
so that was not an issue for us.
Fast forward a year and a half and we still have some mysterious AD issues
we have not been able to resolve. Nothing major, just some annoyances. An
synchornization error gets logged every time we try to download the Exchange
Global Address Book. It downloads OK, but the Synch issue shows up in
Outlook. We get occasional Kerberos auth issues when we try to use
delegation - not all the time, but when we do the only solution is to reboot
the client and everything works again.
I can't say for sure these things are because I upgraded from SBS, but
that's what I usually blame it on.
If it's not too much more work, I would suggest installing clean and going
through the pain of recreating your users and mailboxes.
"E-maginative LTD" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM > wrote in