Corrupt spell check in tables

Corrupt spell check in tables

Post by Swam » Tue, 07 Feb 2006 10:18:30


The spell checker is working fine in the normal text body of my doc but ONLY
SOME of the misspelt words in the tables are not being checked - the ones
beside which I have put an asterisk and space as a bulleting mark. I've
tried selecting the whole document, gone to tools/language/set language/and
unchecked the "do not check spelling ...... box" but it keeps coming back
with a greyed tick and does not relieve my problem. Any ideas?
 
 
 

Corrupt spell check in tables

Post by Cindy M -W » Tue, 07 Feb 2006 19:11:05

Hi Swami,

Which version of Word is this? And with which language is the text formatted?

I just tried a quick test in Word 2003 with English (U.K.) and asterisk +
space at the beginning of a paragraph in a table doesn't seem to affect things
here: the words are correctly recognized as being misspelled.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.yqcomputer.com/ (last update Jun 8 2004)
http://www.yqcomputer.com/

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or
reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

 
 
 

Corrupt spell check in tables

Post by Swam » Wed, 08 Feb 2006 08:33:35

Aaaahh sorry, it is word 2002 SP3.

Language setting has been a problem this last week. I like to use Eng-AUS,
but 9/10 times it keeps resetting to Eng-US. THAT problem seems to be sorted
at last. The corrupt spell probs may be connected to the fact that I scanned
in the table text which got corrupted somehow from OmniPage. My only idea
was to make brand new table far from the old one, then cut and paste the
text. But I tried that and the problem went with the moved text - even just
cutting and pasting a single misspelt word from the old table did NOT
register as a misspelt word in the new table but all newly typed words in
empty cells in BOTH tables come up as misspelt, yet newly types words in
cells which have asterisked para's in the old table DON'T spell check, but
newly typed words in new cells in the old table DO spell check !?!?! It
seems just some cells in the old table are corrupt and any cut and paste
takes that corruption with it . ????? and Grrrr.

OK OK Problem solved now!! I just converted the whole old table to text,
reset those pages to Language Eng-AUS and unchecked all boxes (which were
semi greyed), re converted text to table and voila! Some kind of
scanning>language corruption>formatting glitch.

Thanks for your help.
 
 
 

Corrupt spell check in tables

Post by Cindy M -W » Thu, 09 Feb 2006 20:11:44

Hi Swami,

Glad you got it sorted, even if it was rather painful. I agree with your
analyis, FWIW :-) At least you can be assured that it will help others with
similar problems who search these messages for possible solutions.


Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.yqcomputer.com/ (last update Jun 8 2004)
http://www.yqcomputer.com/

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or
reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)