I have a much different approach to offer you. Please read on.
I have written an application generator that allows developers to
build business applications for MS SQL Server in just a fraction of
the time it used to take. All you need to do is create the tables and
answer a few yes or no questions about each table. The generator does
In order to promote my generator to developers, I am issuing the
I claim that, using the Abacus Application Generator; I can develop
your next MS SQL Server application, for you, in only one forth the
amount of the time it would take you. I also claim that the generated
application will be of better quality, versatility, and usefulness
than anything you can develop given four times the amount of time, it
takes me, to deliver your app.
The challenge will cost you nothing. All you have to do is send me the
TSQL scripts necessary to create your tables and to define the indexes
and foreign key relationships. My generator will do the job, and I
will deliver the finished and fully functional UI.exe along with a
finished and fully functional SQL Server back end which contains a
robust security system and a comprehensive data dictionary, completely
free of charge. So even if you loose the challenge, you will a gain a
new database application and perhaps a new way to greatly increase
your productivity and your profits.
The benefits of this system are as follows:
1. The system generates true Client Server and Multi Tier
2. There is zero coding for common functionality, i.e. Adds, Updates,
Deletes, Audit trail, Security, Rolling Down Data, Cascading Deletes,
Posting to General ledger etc.
3. There is zero work of any kind for generation of data entry
screens and their lookups.
4. The back end is completely independent from the front end. You can
hit the database with any application or user interface and still be
sure that you have complete security and valid data.
5. Easy navigation through out the application. The generated user
interface is a familiar modern metaphor with a navigation tree on top
or at the side and data entry screens at the bottom. Also, the
generated user interface remembers customizations to each data entry
screen. This allows you to make sweeping changes to the interface, and
regenerate all data entry screens, without loosing your
6. Consistent look and feel via OOP Inheritance and code generators.
7. Major changes in look and functionality are made in one place
only, and ripple down to all affected parts of the system without
programmer intervention. Again, this was accomplished with OOP
inheritance and also with code generators.
8. Users to have the ability to create queries and reports on the
fly. And the ability to save and reload those queries and reports in
many formats including Excel and HTML.
9. Users to have complete flexibility in customizing the look and
feel of the system. The extent to which each user can customize the
interface must be seen to be believed. This high level of
customizability creates a high degree of user acceptance.
10. Logical use of hot keys and local popup menus allow for easy mouse
free operation, permitting the user to keep his or her hands on the
keyboard, if the user so desires.
11. All custom code added to generated data entry screens and
generated backend code persists