Look in findutils from ftp.gnu.org. I've got findutils-4.2.31 here. It's
better maintained, IMO. I used to use 'slocate', but 'locate' with the
right options keeps private files out of the database.
@OP: updatedb is just a shell script. Key it in and see where it's
botching up. Also, make sure updatedb and locate are both looking in the
same place for their database, else you'll not get output when running
locate because there is nothing in the database (I'd imagine...haven't
tried building an empty db myself).
At compile time I build mine with /var/cache/locate/locatedb as the
database, then leave the database location alone during updates.
[RBL:Just A Bad Idea] Do not use DNS-RBL; Demand your ISP stop.
Tell RoadRunner/Adelphia, Netzero,etc: don't trash your mail.
Finger my user name at host atr2.ath.cx for mail addr, gpg, etc.