The following is a response posted by Jonathan Kay to a similar prior
"Since you can't immediately login, remember that you can might try logging
into the Web
Messenger, at least until you can restore your normal Messenger
However, here are some suggestions you should check/try if you haven't
1. The date on your computer needs to be set properly -- double click the
clock verify that
the time and date are set.
2. If your password information is not saved, verify that you are typing it
in with the
correct case (uppercase or lowercase).
3. Change your password @
something smaller (under 10-12 characters), then try signing in again.
4. If you use a firewall (like ZoneAlarm, Norton Internet Security etc. ),
that Messenger doesn't have the correct rights to access the Internet,
especially since you
upgraded. You may need to re/add Messenger to the allowed list of programs
in your firewall
if this is the case.
5. If you disabled your firewall in the past, it still may be blocking
Messenger -- try
restarting it and see if that helps the situation. You also might try
installed firewall, to verify that it isn't causing a problem (even if it is
6. Clear your IE cache and cookies -- open Internet Explorer, click the
Tools menu, then
Internet Options, then click the Delete Files button, and when that's
complete click the
Delete Cookies button.
7. Check your IE Security settings -- open Internet Explorer, click the
Tools menu, then
Internet Options, then Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section, and
verify that "Check
for server certificate revocation" is unchecked. Also verify that 'Use SSL
2.0' and Use SSL
3.0' is checked, then click OK.
8. Click Start, then Run, and enter the following:
then click OK
and do the same for the following:
Microsoft MVP - MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
Messenger Resources - http://www.yqcomputer.com/
All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
You *must* contact me for redistribution rights"