et's try troubleshooting that issue. Here's some solutions which have worked:
1. Before we begin, please save a restore point for your system.
How to use Windows XP System Restore:
2. You might be affected by problems similar to the Insert CD error.
- Try the advice and DL at: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228985
Another trick that I found sometimes works is to make the limited account an
administrator account and run that game once. This should create the registry
settings and permissions for that user to be able to properly run the game.
3. Kazaa or Kazaa light is installed on your system.
- Uninstall the game(s) and Kazaa, and reinstall from original CD.
4. Multiple CD drives on your system including Virtual CD drives.
- Disconnect all but the main CD drive and try the game. You
might have an older drive, or a CD Writer which is incompatible
with the Safe Disk copy protection on the CD. (Contact Vendor).
5. Your antivirus or application firewall might be conflicting with it.
- Disable the software temporarily.
6. There might be a patch available for your game to correct the issue.
- Try www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a/ or the game's site.
7. Your desktop may need to be set at least 800x600 and 16 colors.
- Click Start / (Settings) Control Panel / Click Display
8. Your Video, Sound, or Monitor drivers may need updating.
- Try updating your Video drivers using the instructions at:
9. You might have software running on your system which is causing conflicts.
- Temporarily disable Startup programs one at a time, starting with Firewall,
AV, and ad blockers using: http://new.jtsoft2001.com/windows/startup.php
You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
10. Maybe a Microsoft Security patch is the culprit. The only way to be sure is
to Unplug from your Internet connection, and then repair Windows using
this method: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
After you reboot, try the game again. If it works, save a new restore point.
Lastly, boot up your system, turn on your XP Internet Firewall, plug back
into your Internet connection and install all Critical and Recommended updates
from: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com one at a time. Test the game after
each update to find which is causing the game not to start on your PC. :-)
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
"eric Hodgson" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM > wrote in message news:296c001c465e1$3823be10$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
| I have tried to play both titles after a break of about a
| month. Niether one will open. In each case I recieve a
| message telling me to eject the disc and reload it.