My Pc is a similar setup with exact same problem.
IBM R50e laptop, running wireless using an adsl router.
The NIC card I disabled because it look like it was trying to use the NIC to connect. I've also tried plugging in via the NIC and not wireless and that doesn't make any difference. The Messenger tests all pass as well, switched all security off, installed, re-installed, deleted regkeys, checked settings on ie, upgraded IE to Ie7. can't get an error that I can use to pin point the problem at all, except that it just sits there and does nothing !
EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice