Since you own an IBM Thinkpad you can probably upgrade by following these
1. Visit the IBM web site. Put your laptop's model number (found on a
sticker on the bottom, something like 6344-20U) in the search box on the top
right-hand corner of the page and click Search. Go to the first link
returned by the search, this will be the page where you can download drivers
for your Thinkpad. Open up Device Manager and see what's there, then
download every driver you'll need (be sure you get the power management and
Intel chipset drivers if they're offered or else your laptop will likely
become an expensive brick). Burn them to a CD or put them on a ZIP drive or
whatever offline storage you have.
2. Find a Windows 98 Second Edition Upgrade CD. They are rarely sold in
stores any longer so you'll likely need to search eBay or some similar
3. Put the CD in and run the upgrade.
4. After the upgrade is complete install drivers in this order - Intel
chipset first, then IBM Power Management driver, then video, then anything
NOTE - Upgrading laptops with an operating system not provided with them can
be risky. There have been reports of permanent damage to the laptop during
the process. Proceed at your own risk.
Richard G. Harper [MVP Win9x] XXXX@XXXXX.COM
* PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
* for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
* HELP us help YOU ... http://www.yqcomputer.com/