Metrowerks commitment

Metrowerks commitment

Post by Lennart.Th » Thu, 09 Jun 2005 16:29:26

MW Ron states "Metrowerks remains committed to its Mac customers."

While states:
"Metrowerks recently sold its Intel x86 compiler and de ***
technology to a third party. As a result, Metrowerks will no longer
create and sell products that include this technology. Metrowerks will
offer support for these products by hosting on-line discussions on
newsgroupsand on our web site."

How can Metrowerks remain committed when they can't support future x86
based Macs?

Metrowerks commitment

Post by jonhoyl » Thu, 09 Jun 2005 22:02:32

>> Metrowerks remains committed to its Mac customers. We continue

Just vague enough to really not say really anything. Continue to sell
your "current line" of tools? Does that mean upgrades or not? 10
years aago, Symantec made pretty much the same statements, but what
they meant by it was: "We want to continue to take your money for our
tools, but we have no intention in investing any serious time or money
on them for the future."

I am hopeful that this is a good step forward, but more than just
weasel words will be needed here.


Metrowerks commitment

Post by Scott Moor » Fri, 10 Jun 2005 04:49:13

I would also have been standard for Metrowerks to sign a non-compete
contract, that is, they would have agreed not to get into competition
with their old x86 compiler offerings. Even without such a contract,
its grounds for suit.

Metrowerks screwed themselves competely. Ron can spin this anyway he
wants, but thats the bottom line.

Metrowerks commitment

Post by boga » Sat, 11 Jun 2005 15:20:05

We have 30+ CW9 licenses.

For us a CW 10 release without a good Intel compiler worth nothing.
We have a large program and CW can link it/debug it with very good
XCode is at least 6x slower at these operations (in cases it not fails
with out of address space).

With a good Intel compiler/de *** CW would worth us more than the
current CW price. Without a good Intel compiler/de *** we won't


Metrowerks commitment

Post by jonhoyl » Sat, 11 Jun 2005 22:16:27

Since CW10 is supposed to be slated for 2nd Half 2005, and the Intel
machines are not out until mid-'06, I think it is reasonable to have a
CW10 that does not support Intel. CW11 although ought to, since that
is when the mac begins its transition.

Metrowerks commitment

Post by Lennart.Th » Tue, 05 Jul 2005 21:43:34

For Select and Premier ADC members, the Intel based Macs are available
NOW. If our products will be shipping (that means developed, tested,
debugged etc) on Intel next year, NOW is the time to start.

Metrowerks commitment

Post by bolsing » Thu, 07 Jul 2005 14:55:12

Bing! And Mac OS X on Intel has been working fine for years. This is really
happening, folks! ;)

Metrowerks commitment

Post by larr » Fri, 08 Jul 2005 14:17:07

> Since CW10 is supposed to be slated for 2nd Half 2005, and the Intel

We don't know when the Intel Macs will start shipping. Steve could be
conservative with his timetable here and we could see Intel Macs as
early as January's Macworld Expo. Such a move would be good for Apple
because it would preempt speculation that would clearly come later and
show people they're on top of this transition.


Metrowerks commitment

Post by rodd » Sat, 09 Jul 2005 03:00:44

In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,

It would also improve their cash flow from the people who are
postponing buying a new machine until the 'new' Macs are out.

-- Rod --

Metrowerks commitment

Post by larr » Sat, 09 Jul 2005 15:36:01

> It would also improve their cash flow from the people who are

Absolutely. There's no question that some people are going to hold off
purchasing a Mac until they see the Intel Macs *and* see that the
transition for users is going to be relatively painless. The #1
reaction I saw from users (as opposed to developers) to the Intel
announcement was that they were going to postpone a purchase.