Error with ASP.NET opening OleDb/ODBC database

Error with ASP.NET opening OleDb/ODBC database

Post by Giuseppe D » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 02:01:40


Hi there,

I got a problem using an MS Access database through
ASP.NET.

After updating my system from .NET Framework 1.0 to 1.1,
my existing
application gives me the following error when opening a
connection
with the code below:

"Unspecified error" (ErrorCode: -2147467259)

string connectionStringKey = "LocalDBConnectionString";
string connectionString
= "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
Source=C:\InetPub\wwwroot\IS_Italy_2003\IS.mdb";

OdbcConnection connection = new OdbcConnection
(connectionString);
try
{
connection.Open();
}
catch (OdbcException ex)
{
string error = ex.Message;
}
finally
{
connection.Close();
}

What's really strange is that:
1. The same application works on some of my colleagues'
computers with
the .net Framework 1.1
2. The very same code works on my computer when creating a
brand new
application with VS.NET 2003
3. The same application was working with .NET Framework 1.0

The same thing happens (including the two cases above)
when using ODBC
classes instead of OleDB ones. In this case the connection
string is:

"FIL=MS Access;DSN=AIS_Local"

and the error is:

"ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]
Disk or
network error.\r\nERROR [IM006] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver
Manager]
Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed\r\nERROR [HY000]
[Microsoft][ODBC
Microsoft Access Driver] Disk or network error."

Need HELP!!!
tks
 
 
 

Error with ASP.NET opening OleDb/ODBC database

Post by Pete » Fri, 25 Jul 2003 21:04:51

Just to help with a little more info on what might be the
same problem.

http://www.yqcomputer.com/
tabindex=1&PostID=225749

I have the same problem that I can't access my mdb.
I have enabled p/w on my db but this does not seem to work
for me.

If you solve the problem please post the solution.

Peter

a
1.0
connection

 
 
 

Error with ASP.NET opening OleDb/ODBC database

Post by John Too » Sun, 27 Jul 2003 04:27:36

Hi Peter, I had a similar problem with MSAccess. It was becasuse the ASPNET
user (it seems this is the user that ASP.NET uses) did not have permissions
to read/write ... in the directory I had chosen to place the file. I moved
it into it's own directory and changed the permission to allow ASPNET to do
anything and ... it worked.

I'm using an XP machine. When I clicked on the properties for the folder,
there was no security property. I had to change "folder options" in control
panel away from "simple security" so that I could make this change. Then
after I had it working, I changed "folder options" back to simple security
and it's still working.

That was what I did for my PC. Not necessarily the solution for you.