PCI ATA/100 RAID-0 vs PCI SATA RAID-0

PCI ATA/100 RAID-0 vs PCI SATA RAID-0

Post by Rita Berko » Tue, 03 Feb 2004 09:00:02


> > When folknut says "clueless" he's talking about himself.

And if you two idiots would just kiss and make up you will soon feel better
about yourselves. Plus, both of you will never learn that playing with
these toys is no substitute for the best, SCSI.

Rita
 
 
 

PCI ATA/100 RAID-0 vs PCI SATA RAID-0

Post by Wayne Youn » Tue, 03 Feb 2004 11:02:01

> > Depending on the chipset it may not be "bolted onto the PCI bus". It
may be


"Folkert Rienstra" wrote


You are talking about the INTEL *Native* ICH5-R Southbridge? or the newer
AMD64 mobos?, well I am not, I am talking about my NF7-S motherboard. I
happen to have an old PCI card that does RAID-0 with IDE drives and I'm
wondering whether to use that with a motherboard that have *NO* onboard
RAID, or go with a mobo that has *onboard* RAID (connected via the PCI Bus)

When you say *newest* chipsets, what do you mean? Most
chipsets/motherboards use an *add-on* SATA chip that runs through the PCI
BUS.

So my question was whether or not there was any difference between:

1) 2x SATA 150 drives connected to my onboard *Silicon-Image* SATA-RAID-0
Chip.

2) 2 x ATA/100 drives connected to an add-in PCI card (Fast-Trax) in RAID-0

Sheesh Mr Rienstra, go do some yoga or what not, even better go hug a tree.
. lol!
--
Wayne ][
<new specs coming soon!>

 
 
 

PCI ATA/100 RAID-0 vs PCI SATA RAID-0

Post by J. Clark » Tue, 03 Feb 2004 13:17:40


There's going to be little difference between those two options--both are
software RAID and that's where the bottleneck is going to be, not the PCI
bus.

--
--John
Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
 
 
 

PCI ATA/100 RAID-0 vs PCI SATA RAID-0

Post by Folkert Ri » Wed, 04 Feb 2004 07:16:44


So what?


With RAID5, not with RAID0.


Certainly will be with the next generation and some of the current
generation of harddrives.


Who isn't even smart enough to setup his newsclient properly.
 
 
 

PCI ATA/100 RAID-0 vs PCI SATA RAID-0

Post by Folkert Ri » Wed, 04 Feb 2004 07:20:28


No Wayne, you sold that, remember?!
I know you have a short memory span, but it can't be that short, can it?



Suddenly you don't understand english, Wayne?

VIA K8T800/VT8237, SIS755/964, NVIDIA nForce3 250/MCP, ALI1687?.


Which has been answered.
 
 
 

PCI ATA/100 RAID-0 vs PCI SATA RAID-0

Post by Folkert Ri » Wed, 04 Feb 2004 07:44:24


>>>>>> When folknut says "clueless" he's talking about himself. >>>> >>>> Do I hear someone grind an axe? >>>> Is that all they learn at the 'school of hard knocks'?! >> >> And if you two idiots would just kiss and make up you will soon feel >> better about yourselves.
>> Plus, both of you will never learn that playing with >> these toys is no substitute for the best, SCSI.

I wouldn't know, your Cluelessness.
I never owned an IDE drive and may never use one unless I get it for free.
>> >> Rita >> >>
 
 
 

PCI ATA/100 RAID-0 vs PCI SATA RAID-0

Post by Wayne Youn » Wed, 04 Feb 2004 11:28:38

"Folkert Rienstra" wrote


Indeed, I did sell it, and that is the reason why I am asking the question
sir, because I can buy the same mobo again and use it's *onboard* SATA (Via
PCI) or I can buy a similar board except it won't have any *onboard* SATA
RAID. I do have a spare Promise Fast-Trax100 IDE RAID card *** around
that was given to me and I could pop on to low price IDE drives and set-up a
new RAID-0. This last option would prove the best value as I would save
0.00 from the motherboard costs and also save some from buying IDE
drives instead of SATA drives, therefore that's why I asked how you thought
the difference would be. . . .
> > Suddenly you don't understand English, Wayne?> > VIA K8T800/VT8237, SIS755/964, NVIDIA nForce3 250/MCP, ALI1687?.


Oh I see, like what sort of *user-base* do those newer chipsets have, hardly
any people are using them yet, sheesh you just assume everyone in the world
is using the latest silicon? There happens to be allot of people out there
using *add-on* RAID controllers?.

I don't know why you bother going on the way you do, you make me feel sorry
for you. Anyway I won't bother *interacting* with you anymore, I don't even
know why I bothered typing this reply,

laters

Wayne ][

P.S: Did I make a spelling mistake :P
 
 
 

PCI ATA/100 RAID-0 vs PCI SATA RAID-0

Post by Folkert Ri » Thu, 05 Feb 2004 07:16:16


> 0.00 from the motherboard costs and also save some from buying IDE> > drives instead of SATA drives, therefore that's why I asked how you thought> > the difference would be. . . .> >> > > Suddenly you don't understand English, Wayne?> > > VIA K8T800/VT8237, SIS755/964, NVIDIA nForce3 250/MCP, ALI1687?.> >> >> > Oh I see, like what sort of *user-base* do those newer chipsets have, hardly> > any people are using them yet, sheesh you just assume everyone in the world> > is using the latest silicon? There happens to be allot of people out there> > using *add-on* RAID controllers?.> >> > I don't know why you bother going on the way you do,

Actually to encourage you to stop asking stupid questions, when everytime that
you do, you show how you didn't understand (or worse, fully ignored) the answers
to your previous stupid questions.
> > you make me feel sorry for you.

Don't drown yourself in guilt, Wayne.
> > Anyway I won't bother *interacting* with you anymore, I don't even> > know why I bothered typing this reply,

Oh, that is OK Wayne, WE do. The selective snipping tells it all.
> >> > laters> >> > Wayne ][> >> > P.S: Did I make a spelling mistake :P