Pentiom 4 3.4 Ghz Versus Core 2 Duo?

Pentiom 4 3.4 Ghz Versus Core 2 Duo?

Post by Edwar » Tue, 01 May 2007 01:39:35


I have a GigaByte board, 965P-DQ6; that currently has a P4 3.4 Hhz
installed. Over the weekend I rendered some video and it took 45
minutes a pop. So I was thinking of upgrading it aso a Core 2 Duo.
But, how mig an improvement will I see? I know the board supports
it. I would like to get a Quad core- but that's too pricey at the
moment.
SHould I upgrade to a Core 2 Duo? If so, which one?
 
 
 

Pentiom 4 3.4 Ghz Versus Core 2 Duo?

Post by pete » Tue, 01 May 2007 09:11:36


How badly do you need it? Do you do work where you really WAIT on your
computer to finish the work for you?

If that is the case, upgrade to a Core 2 Duo immediately, and get
whatever your money will buy you, but do not shell out for anything
faster than 2.66 GHz, performance/price diminishes after that point.

When Quadcores come down in price over the next 6 months, you may want
to upgrade again, as you will see approximately a 1.5x performance boost
for well threaded code, which is quite decent.

--
regards , Peter B. P.
http://www.yqcomputer.com/ , http://www.yqcomputer.com/

 
 
 

Pentiom 4 3.4 Ghz Versus Core 2 Duo?

Post by Bill David » Wed, 02 May 2007 03:08:42


Some issues to consider:
1 - there will be a price drop in 3Q07, would it make sense to wait
for a quad?
2 - Will your software run any faster with the extra CPU? Some will
and some won't.
3 - do you do enough time-critical rendering to be worth the upgrade?
Is this a requirement or a "nice to have?" See [1].

--
Bill Davidsen
He was a full-time professional cat, not some moonlighting
ferret or weasel. He knew about these things.