Repeat of Browser Problems After Last Security Update 2004-12-02

Repeat of Browser Problems After Last Security Update 2004-12-02

Post by Madwe » Fri, 10 Dec 2004 09:25:37



Ugh! This is getting so frustrating! The problem is that my browsers
are again timing out before making a connection. So I have to enter the
URLs 2 or 3 times to get them to connect. This is happening in all
three of my browsers, iCab, Safari and Firefox since I did the security
update. Last time this happened, I just added the DNS server numbers to
my Airport settings and, bingo, everything was great. The numbers are
still there. Any ideas?

Madeleine
 
 
 

Repeat of Browser Problems After Last Security Update 2004-12-02

Post by Chris McDo » Fri, 10 Dec 2004 09:27:58

Madwen < XXXX@XXXXX.COM > writes:



No ideas, sorry, but I'm getting this too.
Before the last security update I would get it occassionally (say, 1 in 20
URLs requested), but since then nearly every second URL times out the
first time its remote site is requested. It does not seem to matter if
hostnames or IP addresses are used, either.

--
Chris,

 
 
 

Repeat of Browser Problems After Last Security Update 2004-12-02

Post by Dave Balde » Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:01:21

In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >, Madwen



I'm not seeing the problem, but try turning off IPv6 in the TCP/IP tab
of the network pref pane.
 
 
 

Repeat of Browser Problems After Last Security Update 2004-12-02

Post by Madwe » Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:58:09

In article <cp866e$ght$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,



Yep, that mirrors my experience for the most part.
 
 
 

Repeat of Browser Problems After Last Security Update 2004-12-02

Post by Madwe » Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:59:21

In article <081220042001219650% XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,




Okie, I'll give that a shot and post the results later. Thanks for the
idea!

Madeleine
 
 
 

Repeat of Browser Problems After Last Security Update 2004-12-02

Post by Dave Balde » Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:43:38

In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >, Madwen



Do post back. I've heard varying reports of IPv6 causing problems,
thoug I can't pin anything to it on my PBook.
 
 
 

Repeat of Browser Problems After Last Security Update 2004-12-02

Post by Chris McDo » Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:57:18

Dave Balderstone < XXXX@XXXXX.COM > writes:



Thanks for the suggestion, but disabling IPv6 (and rebooting) did not work
for me.

______________________________________________________________________________
Dr Chris McDonald E: XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Computer Science & Software Engineering W: http://www.yqcomputer.com/ ~chris
The University of Western Australia, M002 T: +618 6488 2533
Crawley, Western Australia, 6009 F: +618 6488 1089
 
 
 

Repeat of Browser Problems After Last Security Update 2004-12-02

Post by Cathy Stev » Sat, 11 Dec 2004 04:41:12

In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >, Madwen



Apple *really* needs to fix this.

Tuurning off iPv6 didn't work for me but it has worked for some users.

What worked for me was:

1)erase all the DNS numbers from Airport;
2) restart;
3)put the numbers back in.

Fixed - or, I should say, fixed 99% of the time.

Cathy

--
"there's a dance or two in the old dame yet." - mehitabel

C.Stevenson, M.D.
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
 
 
 

Repeat of Browser Problems After Last Security Update 2004-12-02

Post by Madwe » Sun, 12 Dec 2004 01:43:03

In article <091220041141304628% XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,





Yeah, the iPv6 thing didn't work for me either but reentering the DNS
numbers, as you said, did! Thanks again, Cathy. I'm still using your
Help Viewer solution as well. I have to do that at least once a week to
keep it working. Apple really needs to fix these things indeed.

Madeleine
 
 
 

Repeat of Browser Problems After Last Security Update 2004-12-02

Post by Bev A. Kup » Sun, 12 Dec 2004 01:54:29

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:43:03 -0600,


I agree. Oddly enough I've never experienced it on my Mac at work,
but do on my Mac at home, and I think I know why (see below)


I run named as a caching nameserver on my Mac at work (serving
only 127.0.0.1) and have never encountered the problem). I didn't
at home (until two days ago). Turning named on (using the the
following 3 steps) solved the problem.

a) Editing /etc/hostconfig to change the line "DNSSERVER=-NO-" to
"DNSSERVER=-YES-"
b) Starting named (/System/Library/StartupItems/BIND/BIND start"
c) Configuring the Mac to use 127.0.0.1 as the nameserver

Beverly
--
Many a smale maketh a grate -- Geoffrey Chaucer