Chemically, gin is about 40% ehtanol, 60% water and probably less than
1% or 2% botanical extracts from junniper berries (IIRC). Water and
ethanol are solvents which are polar, catagorized on a scale from very
polar to non-polar. Water is the most polar of the common solvents.
*** is also a polar solvent but less polar than water, allowing it a
greater ability to solvate non-ionic materials. The water and ethanol
components of your catastrophic environmental spill would have
evaporated within minutes or hours, so the only concern would be the
botanical extract residues, and the damage caused by the electrical
shorting of the gin in a powered up machine, which cannot be cleaned
away and is probably non-repairable except by replacing the components,
All the botanicals in the gin are, by definition, soluble in the 40/60
mixture, and would probably be almost as soluble in distilled water.
Thus using distilled water would be the safest solvent to clean up your
Just FYI pure water or ethanol are both very poor conductors of
electricity, but the addition of fairly small amounts of electrolyte
impurities changes this very fast.
My first piece of advice is don't mess with anything that ain't broken!
In other words, just work with the keyboard and DVD module and leave
everything alone. The botanical residues probably won't hurt the
components, and the risk of them doing so in the future is far less than
the risk of you totalling your PB by attempting to remove them.
Regarding the KB and DVD modules, I would soak them, totally immersed in
warm water for several hours. Then remove them and let them air dry.
You might consider using an anchored hair dryer to accelerate the
drying, particularly for the DVD module, aiming it at the opening. But
keep it on low and at a safe distance so the parts do not get hot but
only moderately warm. They must be totally dry before you power them up
or you will ruin them.
paulfuchs at attglobal dot net
Sitting on a small rock (St. John) in the Caribbean