Workaround - "sync cannot be completed successfully"

Workaround - "sync cannot be completed successfully"

Post by Estel J Hi » Sat, 04 Mar 2006 01:19:03


Hi gang,

I have Windows XP Home, Active sync 4.1, Oulook 2003Cingular 8125

I have installed/uninstalled active sysnc 4.1 several times, and repaired
Outlook 2003 as well. Nothing seemed to work.

I then started Activesync without usb connected, and deleted the partnership
with my 8125, then, connected the USB and it setup a new partnership, for
the first time in a week, I was then able to see it sync with the 8125.

Hope this helps someone.

Best Regards,
Estel J Hines