deploying setup.dll into CAB

deploying setup.dll into CAB

Post by wandering_ » Wed, 03 Jan 2007 23:07:16

I want to call SendMessage(HWND_BROADCAST, WM_WININICHANGE, 0xF2, 0)
after installing my application (today screen plugin), so the today
screen would refresh without soft reset.
Using Visual Studio 2005 I have created a setup project and exported

codeINSTALL_EXIT Install_Exit(
HWND hwndparent,LPCTSTR pszinstalldir,
WORD cfaileddirs,WORD cfailedfiles,WORD cfailedregkeys,
WORD cfailedregvals,
WORD cfailedshortcuts)

, then added primary output from this project (named setup.dll) to my
deployment project - with no efect! The .inf file created by VS didn't
contain any reference to setup.dll, so cabwiz was unable to create a
proper CAB. What should I change in Visual Studio in order to make
proper changes in the .inf file? Or what should I place there manually?

deploying setup.dll into CAB

Post by » Thu, 04 Jan 2007 00:11:55

IIRC in the setup project there is a specific property in the Priperties
pane for "Setup DLL". It can't simply be a referenced item - there is a
specific INF entry that needs to be generated for the file.



deploying setup.dll into CAB

Post by r_z_are » Thu, 04 Jan 2007 03:55:08

On 2 Jan 2007 06:07:16 -0800, "wandering_in_the_woods" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >

In the
section, add a line like
CESetupDLL = yoursetup.dll
You'll also need to add a line to one of the
sections, and a line in each of the

Definitely a terse description, but I think any attempt I make to
clarify will muddy instead.

To reply to me, remove the underscores (_) from my email address (and please indicate which newsgroup and message).

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
20 Park Plaza, Suite 478
Boston, MA 02116

deploying setup.dll into CAB

Post by wandering_ » Fri, 05 Jan 2007 21:01:28

Thanks - I hope this will be enough to find more detailed explanation
on the net.

Yes, I realize that it's not that simple. However, I don't see anything
about "setup dll" in properties of any project (or solution). Perhaps
it has something to do with the fact that my projects are C++ projects,
which I believe have slightly different properties.
Thanks anyway.