Mailbox move failed, now mailbox is not accessable

Mailbox move failed, now mailbox is not accessable

Post by SmFtaWUgQX » Tue, 06 Jun 2006 23:41:03


Recently I was moving mailboxes from a 2000 server store to a new 2003 store
(new server) and one of the mailboxes failed to move. It just hung the
process. The mailbox showed up on the new server, but very small compared to
the 40mg on the original mailbox. The original box was still on the old
server as well. I tried to connect to the new and the old mailbox with no
success (OWA, Outlook, POP, IMAP) getting what look like permission errors.
I deleted and purged the new mailbox and then reconnected the old one back to
the original account. Reset all permissions, updated the RUS on that domain,
still no joy. I tried using an account with full access on the store and it
too fails. Exmerge fails stating that it can't open the store, check
permissions, etc. I can exmerge other mailboxes with no issue. I've run
mailbox cleanup multiple times, tried to delete and purge this mailbox, but
purge just hangs ESM and the mailbox stays put.

Anyone have any ideas here? It seems by the errors that the permissions on
the mailbox aren't correct, but I have reset them manually (self, etc) and
still have the issues.

Thanks
 
 
 

Mailbox move failed, now mailbox is not accessable

Post by seth » Wed, 07 Jun 2006 00:26:52

what about checking the store for errors with eseutil?

 
 
 

Mailbox move failed, now mailbox is not accessable

Post by b3pAbXNleG » Wed, 07 Jun 2006 02:06:02

Seth is right on the spot, chek the database files for integrity, fix the
problem than move the mailbox accordingly
How to defragment with the Eseutil utility (Eseutil.exe)
http://www.yqcomputer.com/



Description of the Isinteg utility
http://www.yqcomputer.com/

Ramifications of running the eseutil /p or eseutil /d /r command in Exchange
http://www.yqcomputer.com/


Using the Exchange tools ISINTEG and ESEUTIL
http://www.yqcomputer.com/

http://www.yqcomputer.com/

oz

--
Best regards, Good Luck
Oz Ozugurlu
____________________________
MCSE 2003 M+,S+, CCNA
http://www.yqcomputer.com/
http://www.yqcomputer.com/ (Blog)
 
 
 

Mailbox move failed, now mailbox is not accessable

Post by SmFtaWUgQX » Wed, 07 Jun 2006 03:35:02

I thought about that, but we're talking 200Gb dbs so were looking at around
50 hours to run the eseutil and another 50 or so for isinteg. Right now
everyone (1000 users) all have perfectly working email. If I take exchange
down for this, they won't be happy campers. I suppose making a copy of the
db and working the tools on it is a possibility, but by the time it's done,
the current DB and this one will look very different.

Unless I'm missing something here...
 
 
 

Mailbox move failed, now mailbox is not accessable

Post by seth » Wed, 07 Jun 2006 07:51:31

ith a store that large, what i would do is move the rest of the mailboxes
over to the new server first. if the rest move successfuly, you'll have all
mailboxes except one on the new server, with the old server having only the
problem mailbox. it wouldn't matter then if you dismounted the store and
ran eseutil.

50 hours on a 200gb store to me seems a bit unrealistic (unless there are
serious problems with the store, which i doubt) but the amount of time it
takes to do it would depend on your hardware.

another thing i thought of is that it sounds like all 1000 users or so are
all in the same store. perhaps you could arrange the users in multiple
stores based on department, etc. Just a thought that might make
administration a bit easier in the future. if, for example, you had 5
stores with 200 users each and there is a problem with a mailbox or the
store itself and have to dismount it, 200 users would be without email while
the other 800 would. Just my $0.02

Users & Multiple Mailbox Stores
http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2004/05/users_multiple_.html


"Jamie Arnold" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM > wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...


 
 
 

Mailbox move failed, now mailbox is not accessable

Post by SmFtaWUgQX » Wed, 07 Jun 2006 11:35:01

eth:

One of the things I'm doing with the new server is preparing several stores
to be cut up by administrative level (VPs and their assistants, etc) Part of
the reason is what you mentioned but I'm also running up against a nearly 6
hour backup window and I hope to back up some of the stores less frequently
(lower priority users)

The time I listed is based on the 4-6 gb per hour MS says both eseutil and
isinteg will take. My exerience with things like time estimates is to figure
high and get excited if it comes in faster!

Either way, the issue has now been resolved. I took the resources offline
and when I brough them back up (it took a *very* long time) I restamped the
RUS(s) and now the mailbox is accessible. I did this a few times already so
why it worked this time I'm not sure. I exmerged it's contents and will try
to move it again tomorrow once we review it's contents for anything "weird".

"seth" wrote: