SMTP Outbound Routing Problem from E2K7 HT

SMTP Outbound Routing Problem from E2K7 HT

Post by QUo » Wed, 10 Dec 2008 14:11:01


Hi,

I have recently installed Exchange 2007 into an existing Exchange 2003 SP2
organisation. The Exchange 2003 servers are all in one ADsite with a
Mimesweeper server which routes mail to a DMZ Ironport then on to the
internet. The Exchange 2007 server 2 HT/CAS and 2 CCR MBX srvrs are all in a
new datacentre in their own ADsite. I have tested E2k7 to e2k3 mail routing
works fine, inbound SMTP to E2k7 works fine and routes fine to both E2k7 adn
E2k3 mbxs. However, I have created a new SMTP connector in E2K7 HT with a
cost of 1 and set to route mail to the mimesweeper server, which has ben
setup to accept mail from the HT. All config looks right but when I test a
external SMTP message from a E2K7 mailbox I get the following error.
----------------------------------------------------
Delivery has failed to these recipients or distribution lists:
' XXXX@XXXXX.COM '
Your message wasn't delivered because of security policies. Microsoft
Exchange will not try to redeliver this message for you. Please provide the
following diagnostic text to your system administrator.
The following organization rejected your message: mydomain.com.au
________________________________________
Sent by Microsoft Exchange Server 2007

Diagnostic information for administrators:
Generating server: mbxhub01.mydomain.com.au
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
mydomain.com.au #501 5.7.1 This system is not configured to relay mail (r)
from < XXXX@XXXXX.COM > to < XXXX@XXXXX.COM > for
mbxsrv01.mydomain.com.au ##
Original message headers:
Received: from mbxsrv01.mydomain.com.au ([10.40.2.37]) by
mbxhub01.mydomain.com.au ([10.20.115.34]) with mapi; Mon, 8 Dec 2008
15:01:58 +1100
From: E2K7TEST < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >
To: "' XXXX@XXXXX.COM '" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >
Return-Receipt-To: < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 15:01:57 +1100
Subject: RE: test message 2
Thread-Topic: test message 2
Thread-Index: AclY57nHyz+oSdDJSumYni+6wwQFmwAAfSIg
Message-ID:
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >
References:
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >
In-Reply-To:
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >
Accept-Language: en-US
Content-Language: en-US
X-MS-Has-Attach:
X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:
acceptlanguage: en-US
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="_000_F86687D0984F8A4686BF6E6AE5DDB09701D6594231MBXSRV01arcbs_"
MIME-Version: 1.0
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I have tried to find a reason for this error but I am having no luck. I
have found many forum discussions with other people have the same problem but
no solutions. Does anyone know how to fix this or help point me on the right
track to resolving it. I have ran out of options to try.
Thanks,
AJ
 
 
 

SMTP Outbound Routing Problem from E2K7 HT

Post by TGFzc2V » Wed, 10 Dec 2008 20:01:05

Hi,

Are you sure, that mimesweeper is set up to relay messages from the e2k7
server?
Can the e2k3 server use the mimesweeper?
If so, please make sure the same things are set up for the new server, as
for the one that is working (in mimesweeper)

--
Regards
Lasse I.

 
 
 

SMTP Outbound Routing Problem from E2K7 HT

Post by QUo » Fri, 12 Dec 2008 13:07:01

hanks for your reply. I had the guy that manages Mimesweeper (I don't have
access) check all the settings and ask him about 3 times to double check that
all was right, which he confirmed back as all OK. However, when I pushed
him again, he has come back and informed me this morning that he missed a
SMTP relay setting and now it all works. What a waste of my time. Next time
I will make sure I have access so I can check everything myself.

Cheers,
AJ


"LasseI" wrote: