Workaround found!

Workaround found!

Post by TWljaGFlbC » Sun, 08 Feb 2004 01:46:07


I've found a workaround for the problem

It seems that SP3 has some kind of a bug with regards to update-triggers

1) The 'UPDATE(field)' function doesn't seem to give do the check correctly - it seems to always return true
eg.
IF UPDATE(field1
BEGI
END

is always execute

2) The "UPDATE <table> SET field=value FROM inserted" seems to lock a whole page (or something like that) instead of the individual rows it updates. The workaround to this is to include WITH (UPDLOCK) in the UPDATE-clause
eg.
UPDATE <table> WITH (UPDLOCK) SET field=value FROM inserte

These two issues first showed themselves after(!) we updated to SP3 - and we've only been able to reproduce the second issue on a clustered SQLServer2000 running on a Windows Server 2003

Regards

Michael B. HAnsen