Ie done a lot of reading, and think Ie figured out what I need to do. I
should add that I using DAO.
1. Using Access, convert my database from Access 97 to Access 2000. I
not sure if this is necessary, but Ie been advised to do it by my MIS
department, as they don support Access 97.
2. Using Access, create a workgroup information file with all my users in
this workgroup. Because my data is not super confidential, and for the last
6 years, there has been no login process, I will use the username from the
network, and include a ominaluser password in my connection string. This
could be the same for each user. This way, I can control who uses the
application, without any overbearing security.
Question. Where should the MDW file reside, and should there be any
security on this folder ?
3. Update my application dependencies from Jet 3.51 to Jet 4.
4. Rewrite my VB code to open the database in shared mode, read only mode.
This will be the general rowsingmode of use.
5. Remove my custom record locking code from the application.
6. To edit a record, open another connection in ReadWrite mode, dited
Is there anything wrong, or anything Ie forgotten ?
>> >-----Original Message---->
>> >I am using VB6 with an Access 97 database, with up to>
> about 6 users requiring>
>> >simultaneous access. There is no security on the>
> database. I have>
>> >implemented my own record locking protection. How do I>
> ensure that users>
>> >will not be locked out of the database >
> [Warning. Totally unsatisfactory replies follow...>
> Abandon your 'custom record locking protection'. Look>
> up "User-Level Security", Ownership, and Workgroups in>
> the MSAccess help. Or..>
> Plan 'B', wrap all transactions in COM+/MTS. Or..>
> Plan 'C', (or Plan '9' From Outer Space depending.&<t;),>
> create an ActiveX Exe to monitor and control access to>
> the single resource>