posted this question a wqhile ago and got the following response. It works
a treat !
It basically means that the on and off switch to the Out Of Office has got
out of sync, if you delete the rules using the method below it will solve
the problem. Very handy little doc !
The first contains a Message Class of
IPM.Note.Rules.Oof.Template.MicrosoftMessage with a field,
PT_String8=MSFT:TDX OOF Rules. The other rule contains a Message Class of
IPM.Note.Rules.OoFTemplate.Microsoft. If one or both of these rules are
corrupted or unsynchronized with the OOF-enabled indicator, then it's
possible that the Out Of Office notification may no longer work.
To resolve this, use the Mdbvue32 utility from the Exchange Server 2000
CD-ROM or the Exchange 2000 Server service pack to delete the two entries
for Out of
Office. Export the user Rules from Outlook (client and server), then use MDB
Viewer to manually remove all Rules from the mailbox. To do this:
1. Find mdbvu32.exe in the \support\utils directory on any of the Exchange
2. Run mdbvu32.exe.
3. Click OK to clear the first window that pops up.
4. Make sure that your profile is selected in the Choose Profile window and
5. Click on the MDB menu option.
6. Click on the OpenMessageStore option.
7. Make sure that "Mailbox- [user's full name]" is selected and click on
8. Click on the MDB menu option again.
9. Click Open Root Folder.
10. In the Child Folders box - double click on "Top of Information Store".
11. In the next Child Folders box - double click on "Inbox".
12. Look in the Associated Messages in Fld box. (All of your rules are in
13. Once you find the rule that you want to delete then close the properties
for that rule.
14. On the MAPI_FOLDER page make sure that the rule that you want to delete
is still highlighted.
15. In the "Operations available (select operation, then push Call Function
button)" text box, push the drop down button to reveal the list of
16. Scroll down the list of functions until you see "lpFld ->
deleteMessages() (ON SELECTED MSGS)" and then click on it to select it.
17. Next press the Call Function button. This will delete the rule that you
18. Press the Close button to exit the MAPI_FOLDER window.
19. Press Close again to exit the next window.
20. Press close again to exit the last window.
21. Click on the MDB menu option.
22. Click Store Logoff. (Then click OK and OK again).
23. Click Session and then click on Exit.
"Brij" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM > wrote in message
news:03f901c3c5d5$49cb1de0$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...