Have chased this mystery for a month. Can't solve it. HELP!
SETUP -- I've got a home network of Windows 2000 PCs (all reasonably fast
with plenty of RAM and HD space, fully patched and updated, installed
current video drivers, DirectX9b, etc). Some of my PCs are networked via
wire, some wirelessly. I've got two Linksys access points, one 802.11b and
one 802.11g. Two towers (a PIII and a Celeron) and two laptops (one PIII and
one PII) connect to the access points. All of the wireless NICs are 802.11b
except the PCI card in the Celeron. Everything goes through one Netgear
PROJECT -- I digitally record TV shows on one PC, edit out the commercials
using TMPGenc and make the edited files available on a shared drive. The
original video files and the edited files are all .mpg ("mpeg-1", I believe,
in that an hour is about 600MB).
PROBLEM -- The "raw" (unedited) videos play fine on every computer. While
the EDITED videos work perfectly on every PC with a wired network
connection, many of them do NOT work on a wirelessly connected PC. An edited
video that doesn't work on ONE wirelessly connected machine generally will
not play on ANY wirelessly connected machine. If I change the network
connection on any PC from wireless to wired, the problem edited videos will
then play fine.
I can't predict which videos will generate problems (meaning wirelessly
connected PCs will *** on them). I digitally copied a videotape of a
concert, edited it into seven music videos, and my wireless PCs would play
the first, fifth and seventh but NOT the second, third, fourth or sixth!
NOTHING in the simple editing process varies so far as I can tell.
Ahh, but it gets better. What if I unplug one access point, try the videos,
then reverse and unplug the other? I find that the "problem" edited videos
will play fine through my 802.11"b" access point, but NOT through my
802.11"g" access point. To further isolate the problem I try changing the
ports on the network switch that the access points plug into, but the
problem stays with the 802.11g.
Based on what I've read in N/Gs over the past weeks, I d/l GSPOT and try
some diagnostics. First, because these are ALL mpeg files (the raw files and
the edited files) I can't get as much detail as if they were .avi's.
However, the raw files all render and deliver a message that DirectDraw
played them fine. The problem edited videos will NOT render and GSPOT says
rendering failed and DirectShow was unable to render the file.
ERROR MESSAGE -- I tried playing the problem edited videos with Windows
Media Player 9, WMP7, WinAmp5, RealOne, MusicMatch and ATI player. NO player
would play files that the others would not. Most generated generic error
messages ("unknown error") but WMP7 and MusicMatch, as well as GSPOT,
generated "80040111" error messages. WMP7 and MusicMatch referred to
"ClassFactory" errors as well.
That's my situation. Sorry for the length, trying to provide enough detail
to help those kind (and knowledgeable) enough to take a shot at it. All